|Hydro Plant Operator I
Smithland, Livingston, KY (42081)(public transit accessible)
Number of openings: 1
Application closing date: 7/25/2018
Working days vary
Position Title: Hydro Plant Operator I (applicable to all AMP Hydro facilities)
Reports To: Plant Operations & Maintenance Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
1. Functions as a control room operator. Assists with the responsibilities associated with starting and stopping units, coordinating unit discharge rates, monitoring and maintaining upstream pool in cooperation with the Army Corps of Engineers, records and reports operating information such as hourly readings of distribution metering, unit blade positions, unit temperatures, and dissolved oxygen monitoring equipment.
2. Cleans debris from intake screens utilizing the trash rake, log grabber and other equipment to provide for the maximum head for the units.
3. Acknowledges and responds to faults or alarms from the Plant Control Switchboard and takes appropriate action to clear the associated alarms.
4. Assists in the performance of plant maintenance on equipment throughout the plant including, but not limited to pumps, motors, fans, valves and instrumentation.
5. Assists with the operation of the oil purification system on a scheduled basis.
6. Performs work necessary to maintain other plant facilities including cleaning, trash removal and other tasks as assigned.
7. Assists with scheduling and coordinating the delivery of power from the Smithland Plant to grid and ensures that the maximum power is delivered on a minimal interruption basis.
8. Prepares and updates a Daily Log of work performed, visitors, and general upkeep of the plant.
9. Picks up and delivers plant equipment supplies as needed.
10. Performs other assigned duties.
Knowledge, Skills, & Qualifications:
1. Must have a two or four year degree in mechanical or electrical engineering; or Engineering technology degree and two years of experience in plant operations; or a minimum of three to five years’ experience in power plant operations and/or maintenance.
2. Demonstrates thorough knowledge power plant equipment and principles of operation.
3. Must demonstrate the ability to read instruction manuals, blueprints, and schematics.
4. Must have knowledge of the operation and maintenance of control devices and recording/metering devices common to power plants.
5. Experience with programmable logic controllers is a plus.
6. Must have good problem solving skills, and basic mechanical and electrical skills.
7. Must have the ability to follow complex oral and written instructions and react calmly during plant emergencies.
8. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers
9. Welding certification is a plus.
Work Conditions and Environment:
1. Working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions in the confines of a submerged plant.
2. Exposure to adverse weather.
3. Hazardous conditions/equipment.
4. Exposure to noise.
5. Work in precarious or high locations (ladders, etc).
6. Must frequently lift and/or move items over 65 pounds.
Applicants preferred to have at least a Associates/some college/vocational degree or equivalent
Applicant must have a two or four year degree in mechanical or electrical engineering; or Engineering technology degree and two years of experience in plant operations; or a minimum of three to five years’ experience in power plant operations and/or maintenance.