|Waste Management Specialist II
Paducah, McCracken, KY (42003)(public transit accessible)
Number of openings: 1
Application closing date: 6/28/2018
Working days vary
Job Title: Waste Management Specialist II
Location: Paducah, KY
Status: Full Time
Under general supervision, performs Waste Management job functions as assigned by management. Typical job responsibilities include assisting and supporting management in ensuring that the site Waste Management function operates in a manner that is safe, cost effective and fully compliant with FBP procedures and all regulatory requirements. The specific work assignment may include duties or activities that assist and support management in one or more of the following functional areas, in addition to other duties as assigned:
• Perform assigned job duties supporting Waste Management functional areas such as waste characterization, waste stream certification, waste disposition planning, nuclear materials transfer, transportation and/or other related areas
• Acts as a representative on behalf of DOE for signing legally binding documents including, but not limited to transportation documents and waste declarations
• Support site objects and activities through general knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and standards as well as applicable technical and scientific matters
• Provides input to the development of technical reports
• Provides administrative and/or functional support to the Waste Management team
• Liaise/coordinate with other Divisions to ensure alignment with site delivery targets
• Liaise with off-site vendors on behalf of the Company
• Performs duties of general/routine complexity in nature
• Other job related duties as assigned
• Maintains knowledge of and demonstrates ability to perform work safely in accordance with all approved safety policies, procedures and applicable regulations and performs assigned duties in a safe manner
• Actively participates in Safety Work Groups
• BS degree in a related field and 6 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Typical experience ranges from 7-10 years.
• Successful attainment of any advanced job-specific required certification or training such as required for transportation.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Knowledge of, and experience with, nuclear facility operations
• Knowledge of, and experience with, DOE nuclear facility safety including technical safety requirements, processes and reporting requirements
• Attention to detail
• Intermediate PC skills including Microsoft software
• DOE “L” or “Q” clearance or ability to obtain a DOE “L” or “Q” clearance
• Knowledge of, ability to interpret, and support compliant implementation of hazardous waste regulations, including RCRA, CERCLA, and Universal Waste requirements.
• Knowledge of, ability to interpret, and support compliant implementation of low level radioactive waste regulations.
• Knowledge of, ability to interpret, and support compliant implementation of the waste acceptance criteria of low level and mixed waste disposal facilities and DOE contracted Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facilities (TSDFs).
• Knowledge of PGDP deactivation, or deactivation and remediation, contractor-specific waste characterization and disposition processes and recent-experience implementing those requirements.
Due to the variety of work that is performed by Waste Mgt Specialists, there may be the potential for work within an environmental restoration atmosphere (outdated and/or abandoned facilities). The following conditions and requirements may apply:
• Ability to wear respirator and other protective equipment to enter various types of potentially hazardous areas (such as but not limited to chemical, dust fumes, mists, heat stress factors, etc.).
• Ability to carry several instruments/equipment or tools while walking extensively. Potential prolonged walking/standing, repeated pushing/pulling.
• Ability to perform medium to very heavy work, exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, non-repetitive, up to 50 pounds of force frequently (any exertion of force/lifting greater than 45 pounds requires usage of a two person “buddy system”), and/or more than 20 pounds of force constantly, repetitive; performing such activities as lifting, lowering, carrying, pushing, pulling, standing, walking, grasping, kneeling, stooping, reaching.
• Potential for prolonged driving of or riding in a motor vehicle, machine operation, and/or working around moving equipment/machinery or motorized vehicles (such as but not limited to car, truck, golf cart, gator, heavy equipment).
• Ability to work in confined areas, tanks, heat stress conditions, high noise and areas with radiation and chemical hazards. Environmental conditions may include weather or temperature extremes, inclement weather (such as but not limited to wind, rain, excessive heat, excessive cold, snow/ice, etc.)
• In some cases radiological training may be required.
• May be required to operate company vehicle during the course of work. All safety and DOT regulations and procedures must be adhered to at all times.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. Principal duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the overall purpose of this job. This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform job-related duties as requested by management. All requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
Equal opportunity employer. All associates and job applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, genetics, national origin, disability, and/or protected veteran status, in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local law.
Applicants preferred to have at least a Bachelors degree or equivalent
Applicants are preferred to have had at least 6 years experience